Cute Pet System
Some monsters within Ragnarok Online can be tamed and kept as cute pets. Once your intimacy with your newfound friend has reached Loyal, they'll support you in battle as well as grant the player stat bonuses.
To turn a monster into a pet, players must first obtain a Pet Taming Item. Each tamable monster has a specific item that is used to tame it. This means you can't find a taming item for a lunatic and use it on a poring.
Some Quick Tips
- Many pet items can be purchased from a Pet Groomer NPC, located in most main cities.
- Pet Groomers do not sell taming items, but instead will sell accessories and food for certain pets.
- Players can use Alt+J to access the Cute Pet Window.
- HP and Status changes do not contribute to the process of taming a cute pet.
Obtaining taming items for pets will vary in difficulty depending on the pet you wish to acquire. Generally, taming items will be dropped by the monster you wish to tame. However, in some cases they will need to be obtained through events or quests.
Taming a Monster
Once you have the taming item of the monster you wish to tame, seek out the monster on a map it naturally spawns on.
To tame a pet:
- Move your player near the monster you wish to tame.
- Double-click on the taming item in your inventory.
- Move your cursor over the monster you with to tame.
- The cursor will turn into a halo to show that you have the monster 'selected'.
- Carefully click the monster to begin the taming process.
- NOTE: It's best to attempt this on a monster that is alone, with no other monsters present around it in order to prevent any mis-clicks. Mis-clicking during this process will consume the taming item whether or not you clicked on the monster.
- If done correctly, a slot machine will appear in the center of your screen. This slot machine will determine the success or failure in your taming process.
- Click on the slot machine to slow it down.
- If the slot machine lands on "Success," you will obtain the egg of the monster you were taming and the taming item will be consumed.
- If the machine lands on "Failure," you will not receive a pet egg for the attempted monster tame, and the taming item will be consumed as well.
Raising a Pet
Once you've obtained a monster egg, you must now purchase a Pet Incubator in order to hatch it. After hatching, you must continually feed the pet with its corresponding Food in order to keep it from running away. Each pet has different hunger tolerances so not every pet will require the same feeding time (i.e. one pet needs to be fed every 5 minutes while another has to be fed every 9 minutes, etc.)
Feeding a pet not only keeps it from running away, but also levels up its intimacy level. There are 5 intimacy levels:
Each pet starts out Neutral upon hatching and its bonus becomes activated upon reaching Loyal intimacy. To retain a pet's intimacy without feeding it, you can return it to its egg and hatch it again with another Pet Incubator.
In the beginning, certain pets were developed to do certain actions (e.g. Pet Porings can loot for their owners, etc.) when they were raised to be Cordial or Loyal. That was eventually dropped in favor of having them provide stat bonuses to their owners.
Naming Your Pet
An optional feature of the Cute Pet System is the ability to name your pet. You can only name your pet once and it cannot be renamed no matter what.
Once a pet is named, the "Beloved" prefix will be appended to its item name after being returned to its egg (i.e. a Baby Desert Wolf Egg will become a Beloved Baby Desert Wolf Egg after being named).
Dressing Your Pet
Each pet has a special accessory item that can be used to dress it up. The accessory can be equipped and unequipped at will. The accessory can remain on the pet even when put back into its egg.
NOTE: Not all pets have accessory items.